1. Discipline of thought – cultivate a positive attitude and curb negative thought patterns. Avoid excessive mental chatter.
2. Discipline of speech – speak not lest it improves upon the silence, speak clearly and concisely. Speak not in anger, and tell no lies.
3. Discipline of body – manage your vital energy wisely, maintain physical fitness through regular exercise, avoid poisonous substances, consume a balanced mostly plant based whole foods diet, satisfy bodily appetites in moderation.
4. Discipline of association – associate with those who possess admirable qualities, strive for right livelihood, seek spiritual companionship and associations, avoid people and situations that appeal to your lower nature.
5. Discipline of spiritual practice – engage in effective daily spiritual practices that include meditation, self-inquiry, and study.